Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dental Hygiene Weekend

This weekend was full of school activities.  We took our class pictures and went to an open house, then we also took a trip to skid rowe to pass out bags of goodies to homeless people... it was quite the experience.

(a pic of my 2 closest hygiene buddies)

There is a thing called the Green Bag Project that our school participated in where we all donated supplies which were divided up and prepared to be handed out.  We then set a date to head down to LA and pass out these bags.  They do this fairly often so when they see the trucks they KNOW what they are about to receive.  You drive down a street that seems empty and suddenly homeless people come out of the wood works and are everywhere.  We had two truck fulls empty in about ten minutes.  It was somewhat overwhelming but very rewarding. Everyone was so grateful to receive this small gift.  I have never heard  "God Bless You" so many times :) There was one particularly populated street that we turned down where there were tons of homeless people around and when they saw us they started running for the trucks... not going to lie this made me a little nervous!! But all they wanted was those bags! They knew they would be gone soon and they were.  I was sad we couldn't give something to everyone but the experience also made me really grateful for all I have.

 Us in the truck with a bunch of goody bags!

Me handing a bag out

2 comments:

  1. aww this is so nice! I am so proud of you for participating:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Meagan :) I was proud too cuz I was kinda scared but it was really not scary lol

    ReplyDelete